I’ve always wanted to make my own wine. I’m finally getting the chance to do so. My family had an overabundance of apples from my grandparents apple trees this year. And about 2 months ago, I started the process of making my own apple wine.
If you were around in early September, I have been tagging #OperationAppleWine whenever something new happens in the winemaking process. It hasn’t been the most exciting pictures. To be honest, it’s a fairly long process, but things are starting to pick up.
A quick run down of making wine. You have to get all the juice out of the apples. It’s usually at least 5 gallons worth of liquid. You check the alcohol content by adding sugar. After the alcohol content is appropriate, yeast is added to have the apple juice turn into wine.
The past two months have basically been letting the wine sit in the carboy and watching the yeast do its thing. At first there were tons of bubbles rising to the top (the sign of the yeast working), but within the past few weeks hardly any bubbles were present at all. So we moved on to the next step.
The next step is adding chemicals to stop the yeast from working. It was very exciting… in standards of winemaking of course. While the yeast was working our wine sat in the carboy. But in order to add/mix in the chemicals, we had to transfer it to food grade bucket. And make sure we didn't get any of the sediment into the bucket. Sediments in wine is no fun, it looks like sludge!
|Sediment from the bottom of the carboy|
|Wine pre-yeast kill (look at all of that sediment)|