I absolutely love St. Patrick's Day! I love decorating the house up in green, saying a drinking toast and having a beer. Okay, so maybe I haven't said a drinking toast before, but I have been to a few St. Patrick's Day parades and celebrated.
This year in order to celebrate St. Patrick's Day and satisfy my crafty side, I decided to create this cute little piece of Irish artwork. It was pretty simple to make and will look great sitting on the mantle for the upcoming holiday!
So this is what you'll need to make it:
A 9 x 12 canvas (~$4)
Gold paint ($1.29)
Green paint ($3)
Painters tape (~$5)
For a pictorial overview scroll down.
1. You'll want to paint your whole canvas gold. Don't forget the edges! Make sure to get a good coat on there especially where you will put your letters (in the middle of the canvas). Let it dry and apply more coats as necessary.
2. Make sure your gold layer is completely dry! When the paint is dry, place your stickers in the desired location. I put mine in an oval shape. I didn't want them to be just straight and boring. There is no particular pattern or anything, just however suits your fancy. Make sure your letters are stuck on the canvas well. Turn it upside down and press on the back side of the canvas. This will allow you to firmly press on your letters without denting the canvas.
3. Line the edges of your canvas with painters tape! Try to get the tape as straight as possible.
4. Paint green over the gold paint and the stickers. More than likely you will need 2 or 3 coats. Make sure there is no gold peaking through. It can be a little stubborn in some places!
5. After the green paint is completely dry, peel off the painters tape and the stickers. You should be left with a beautiful St. Patrick's Day decoration you can show off! If you need to, touch up the letters with gold paint.
Do you decorate for St. Patrick's Day?
Do you celebrate the Irish?